My Fitness Pals

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My daughter taught me a lesson

Throughout my years I have tried and failed at numberous diets. Too many to list. Sure, I would lose 5 or maybe get lucky and lose 10 only to plateu and then double up the weight back on. I would obsess over that scale. It always had a pull on me, and there, in the background was my daughter, watching and learning. Shes learning to rely on that scale and how society sees us. Even though I have always taught her to "Love yourself first" that "she is beautiful" and never judge your own happiness by somebody else's needs or wants.

I was like the old saying "The pot calling the kettle black" or "Do as I say, not as I do". Its a shame. Why? because not until recently did I notice that my daughter coughs alot and that shes always gagging or throwing up. See, she just came to stay with us for a week. I thought it was because she quit smoking, or she caught the flu bug or something. I knew she had lost alot of weight in the past year but I think (or thought) it was because she was finally happy in life. Lucky in love with finally somebody who loves her and treats her the way she deserves to be treated. I know shes happy but I guessed she wasnt eating because of depression and she had more energy now because she finally found love. Indeed that is true however, she pretty much stopped eating.

Yes, she was too skinny now. She went from overweight to almost underweight. I personally think she is underweight. I wont mention exactly how she did it because that is not my intention to let others go down her path. But I will say, she was scared, I was scared. She couldnt hold anything in her stomache because her stomache had shrunk too much, she went to the hospital. Her blood work came back and they gave her acouple prescriptions and told her to start off on a liquid diet, then brat, then solid foods.
It was a scary situation for all.

I share this story with you because I do not want any more moms or dads obsessing over those damn scales anymore. Sure, it looks nice to see it go down. Sure it feels good when the weight is coming off, But most importantly we need to focus on getting healthy more than anything. I'm not saying you cant talk about it, or share that you lost weight. Please do, BUT dont step on the scale daily and dont let the scale determine your happiness (especially if you have a child in the house)

2012 is my year to do it right. Sure, I retired 40 pounds in 6 months and went from a size 22 to a 16 but I did it the Healthy, non surgery, non diet, right way.So yes, say goodbye to the weight. Celebrate smaller pant sizes. But most importantly CELEBRATE a HEALTHIER, HAPPIER me. I'm able to hop out of bed in the morning and get going without coffee. I'm capable of keeping up with my grand daughter. Able to jump on the trampoline with her instead of just watching. I'm able to go into walmart and not worry about trying on clothes, or go into subway or wendy's and not worry about who's going to see me eating there.

I breath better without all that extra weight, My energy level is great. I can tie my shoe without holding my breath and walk and look down and see my shoes without holding in my stomache.
I'm able to laugh alot and not be so fearful of somebody across the room laughing because I thought they were laughing at me.

This year, start loving yourself. Put yourself first. Your health is very important. If not for yourself, then do it for your children or grand children. Be the example. Be the happiness you want them to have..
Please pay closer attention to your love ones but also pay close attention to what your doing in front of them. For they are learning by what they see.
God bless, April Buchman

No comments:

Post a Comment